Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Okay, so over the weekend, I was able to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire, two of this year's Best Picture nominees at the Oscars, with the latter winning the prize.

First up, Benjamin Button: I thought the story was quite creative and well constructed, although a little strange for my tastes, but creative and entertaining, nether less. It features great performances and a lovely look all its own. It was a story with a lovely meaning behind it and I enjoyed the haunting score. I give the film Three stars out of Four.

Up next, Slumdog Millionaire, the winner of this year's Best Picture Oscar. While, in my opinion, it did not really deserve to win, it was an entertaining picture, it had solid performances and the film managed to hold my interest until the end. The soundtrack really rocked, too. While the story was a bit slow to develop, it developed well in the end. I liked the look of the film, it seemed like a film straight out of Bollywood. I also give it Three Stars out of Four.

Finally, I decided to watch Gaslight again with Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer. While Ingrid won the Oscar and gave a great performance, I couldn't take my thoughts off of Charles Boyer. It was a marvelous performance, and man, does his accent make me melt! I was a little annoyed by Angela Lansbery's accent, but she gave a good performance and it was her feature debut. Thrilling and entertaining film with a beautiful look and wonderful performances.

That's all for today, everyone - till next time!

No comments: