Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Rants and Ravings - 6-10-09

This weekend, I saw for the God-knows-how-many-times The Maltese Falcon and It Happened One Night. First up, The Maltese Falcon never gets old. It's still exciting, fresh and darn, does Bogie kick serious booty! The only thing that bothers me about the film is Mary Astor's haircut...it may have been seen as stylish to some, but it is horrid, in my opinion. Thank God that it does not distract much from the film - unlike Tom Hank's hair in The DaVinci Code...LOL. It's great fun and it is suspenseful all the way, even though it is best the first time when you do not know spoilers - because the fill has various plot twists, but at the same time, even if it's your 1,000th time seeing it, it is still very entertaining and one of the great classic Film Noirs. Indeed, it is "the stuff that dreams are made of".

Next up, It Happened One Night. A witty and charming romantic comedy. Man, oh man - was Clark Gable HOT. And man, could he act! He and Claudette Colbert had a very strong chemistry. I admit I was a little upset that they did not kiss in this movie, but at least their feelings are acknowledged. All in all, it is one of the most romantic movies of the 1930s and of all time.

Also, a few days ago, my nieces persuaded me to watch Hotel For Dogs with them. The story acting and dialogue were overly corny for my tastes, but not so much as 2001's Cats and Dogs, and it was much more realistic. Furthermore, it is a typical film for children and animal lovers, and it is a film which they could identify with and I suppose that is why my nieces like it. However, there is really nothing adults would like, with corny performances by charming actors like Don Cheadle and Lisa Kudrow - although I do not blame them, I blame the writing and story. Overall, it was charming for children, lame for adults. One Star and a half stars out of Four.

That's all for today, folks, till next time!

No comments: