Sunday, May 24, 2009

Taken Review

Hi, everyone!

So I had the opportunity to see the international hit Taken yesterday. I thought it was an entertaining thriller and if you're looking for some tough-guy action, this movie is for you. The camera movements during some of the fist fights annoyed me a little bit, but that's just a minor detail. The story was fast-paced, although it developed smoothly, and I was hoping that the movie would last a little bit more than 91 minutes, but still, it's the running time most films like this have. Although the plot deals with your typical kidnap-and-rescue story, you will somehow feel a certain twist. And I came out with one major confirmation: Liam Neeson kicks major butt - and I love him more than ever. It's a shame that he lost his beloved wife (actress Natasha Richardson) so close to his celebration of his new film's success. While there was nothing really fresh about the father/daughter relationship, it was still a bittersweet story arc. The film was very entertaining and I give it Three and a half stars out of Four stars.

Also, I caught another viewing of The Philadelphia Story. It is my favorite movie with Katharine Hepburn. I enjoy the witty dialogue and heartwarming story. James Stewart won Best Actor for his performance, although I think he deserved it more for It's A Wonderful Life or Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Still, it is a well deserved Oscar. However, I will never understand how Cary Grant did not get a nomination, while Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart did. I think it is one of Oscar's biggest crimes not giving him at least a nomination. He was absolutely engaging and excellent in the film, and it will not be the only time that Cary Grant was not recognized by the Academy the way he deserved, for he did not win the two times he was nominated and there were many performances that were overlooked. Even with no Oscars, he is widely beloved and is considered one of the greatest actors who ever lived - and I fully agree with that.

Till next time!

No comments: