Sunday, January 24, 2010

Inglourious Basterds

So, I had the opportunity to see Inglourious Basterds last night. Okay: I am not a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino - though I thoroughly enjoyed the Kill Bill films, I couldn't even finish watching Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown, and I did not like Reservoir Dogs very much (Dodges the things the fan boys will inevitably throw at her ^_^...), so I really did not know what to expect of this film. His films are structurally eccentric, and very violent, but the man can write dialogue and I highly appreciate his style, because he made it his own . This film is no exception - and it was highly entertaining and engrossing. There's your classic mix of pure Tarantino in Inglourious Basterds: graphic violence and unconventional storytelling and narrative, but there are also certain twists, which I will get to in a moment. I enjoyed the performances, and although Brad Pitt is the star and is developing seriously great acting skills, this movie belonged to Christoph Waltz, in a very strong performance as a villainous Nazi SS agent - he was evil, menacing, cunning, cruel and convincingly displayed all those traits. While there were a lot of characters, I think the script did well in balancing them and the story was entertaining and exciting, and as I said before, I think Tarantino is a great dialogue writer and can convincingly intertwine storylines.

Now for that "twist" ( Now, I would've gotten this if I had remembered the "Once upon a time" line in the trailer) - when you're dealing with Quentin Tarantino, you know he is going to think out of the box, and in this film, he seriously played with history, but however, the outcome was creative and it was an entertaining fictionalized war film. Three and half stars out of four.

No comments: