Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Crow remake - seriously?/The Wolfman Review

Hi everyone! I have lots on my mind right now, so I would like to start off with the recent news regarding a reboot of The Crow. Based on a graphic novel, the 1994 film starred the late Brandon Lee, who was killed during filming by the failure of a prop gun, and since his death, there has been numerous new regulations regarding props in film. I remember that Brandon Lee stated in interviews that he was working very hard on the film. Now, I feel as if the news of his remake will make us question Brandon Lee's legacy. I understand that The Crow is a graphic novel and a film based on it could go in many directions, but given the circumstances of the previous film, I feel that this remake might devalue not only the 1994 film - which was an excellent film - but also the memory of Brandon Lee, whose final performance was extraordinary and it truly showed how much he cared about the film, the material and his work. I do not know what to think of this "reboot" (As if we needed another one after hearing of the Spider-Man, Clash of the Titans and Fantastic Four reboots, LOL), but The Crow and Brandon Lee will always go hand in hand for me.

Second: I just came back from The Wolfman, and I have got to say, I was disappointed. First off, the story had various plot holes and inconsistencies, and the film felt lost sometimes, and unlike the original 1941 film, I really couldn't feel for Larry Talbot - and I think that was really important to achieve. While there was a lot of gore and violence, there was practically little scares. The cinematography was nice and special effects were good sometimes, but it was murky it a couple of scenes (You will know if you see the film). Bencio Del Toro did not impress me and the rest of the cast also seemed lost (The best performance was by Hugo Weaving as a Scotland Yard detective). The editing felt awkward and so did the direction, and while the structure of the film was not totally unbalanced, you can't help but ask yourself, "What is the film trying to do, and where is it going?". Overall, a very disappointing experience in what could have been a solid horror/ "monster" film. Universal has disappointed with their recent monster films - The Mummy Returns, Van Helsing, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Gee, was THAT ONE really necessary?) - and now, The Wolfman. There might still be hope though, for a solid re-visioning of the Universal Monsters for today's audiences. I rate the film 1 and a half stars out of four. After this sour experience, I need me some Lon Chaney, Jr, my Blue Moon CD and some American Werewolf in London camp fun, LULZ!

No comments: